Sphericube - Jugda


Post-rock, once a term brought to live to label bands who where re-inventing the rock scene in a strange age -dominated by Generation X, the nineties. A first generation of post-rock bands took rock to an almost lost form of crafting music, free of sales figures, board room imposed attitudes and hipness. They inspired a whole new generation that was in need of guidance...
A second generation of bands charted the genre and spread the word about it's novice, this train is unstoppable! As time passed, the second generation drawed out the details of this new uncharted continent and provided a sturdy homebase for new explorers to follow in their predecessors footsteps. nowadays, a third generation of
post-rock explorers is surfacing and aim to amaze us with their crucible of influences that are no longer subjected to genres as we knew them. Sphericube is one of those third generation bands, their self-released debut Jugda is the map of their Slovenian settlement.



Most of the times when I listened to Jugda a slight cold shiver ran over my spine before the first minute was over. Plucked violin strings and delightfully reverbed guitars paving the way for a few raising hairs, hooks that sound more like faint bends made some intriguing, yet minimal, shifts that promised me that I was in for some skilled compositions. The drum suggested that I should tighten my laces, I would be in for a serious round of foot tapping. Then the minute was over... the singer wailed himself into Emergency Lane like a siren that rubbed more Thom Yorke in my face then Radiohead is capable of. Now, for the record Thom Yorke has some brilliant vocal chords, Radiohead has some beautiful tracks, but I've had it with their knock-off sound ever since OK Computer. This is the main issue I have with Jugda, every once in a while the shiver down my spine was provoked by my loathing of repetition. Despite my issues, I noticed my foot found his groove back and I decided to indulge myself in the extraordinary blend of wailing vocals and, what sounds like, a borrowed drum computer of Björk on a canvas of post-rocking melancholy with strokes of jazz.



read the full review
Sphericube Website
Sphericube Myspace
Download Jugda

0 - comment:

top